Tuesday, November 9, 2010


For IP I have been thinking a lot about Michigan history--not about people, but about the land and creatures that were here before we were. I realize that I don't know a whole lot about what went on in the prehistoric era, and luckily for me there the Natural History Museum here at U of M that is an awesome resource. What I want to do is take the images of animals, plants, fossils, glaciers, etc., and turn them into these fantastically huge, whimsical illustrations. Persian miniatures are a great influence, as well as children's books. I'm in the process of exploring how to merge all of these ideas together into something that makes at least a little bit of sense. Here's a detail of my first try. It's how Petosky Stones were formed- Michigan used to be covered entirely in water, and there were freshwater reefs. When the glaciers went cruising by, they scraped the coral polyps off of the bedrock, and those fragments are what we know as Petosky stones. Pretty cool, hey? There's a ground sloth in the lower left corner. Apparently they were as big as a VW Beetle. (Beatle?). Insane.

1 comment:

pluww said...

omg those patterns are so lovely, katie